GCAA receives telephone record of pilot in Region Eight crash

Investigators probing last January’s plane crash which occurred at the Ogle International Airport have received the telephone records of Fenix Airways pilot Raul Seecharran who is accused of using his cell phone during the take off stage of the Kato, Region Eight bound flight.

Director General of the nation’s aviation authority Zulficar Mohamed told this newspaper that the agency was able to work with the police force in getting the telephone company to hand over the information.

Initially, the telephone company, Guyana Telephone and Telegraph Company (GT&T) was not obligated to submit the pilot’s information since it involved a private matter.

Mohamed had mentioned that the police would have had to go through the court to get the telephone company to release the pilot’s telephone activity records.

Still very tight lipped on the investigation, Mohamed would only say that the results are now part of the investigations.

While it is alleged that the record does not incriminate the pilot, he (pilot) has been holding out that he did not use his cellular phone.

Kaieteur News understands too that other elements surrounding the crash are being looked at. This includes the alleged discovery that the wrong chair had been placed in the pilot’s seating area among other things. This violates the safety regulations set out by the aircraft’s manufacturing company. The pilot did say in his initial statement that his chair slid backwards during takeoff. It is unclear when the investigation will be over.

Fenix Airways’ Administrator and Finance Manager, Eddie Deolall told Kaieteur News on Tuesday that they are awaiting the results of the investigation to take necessary steps against the pilot if he is found to be culpable. This includes legal intervention. He said that the payment of insurance is also dependent on the outcome of the investigations.

The manager stated however that the Cessna 206 which was involved in the crash is damaged beyond economic repair. Three persons along with the pilot were on board the single engine plane when it flipped at the Ogle Airport. A passenger had given a statement to investigators that the pilot was using his cell phone during takeoff.

Source: Kaieteur News