Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Administrator Michael Huerta on Thursday announced the membership of the Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Registration Task Force. Earl Lawrence, Director of the FAA’s UAS Integration Office, and Dave Vos of Google X will co-chair the group.
Department of Transportation (DOT) Secretary Anthony Foxx and Administrator Huerta announced the formation of the Task Force last week. The Task Force membership represents a range of stakeholder viewpoints, interests and knowledge of the objectives and scope. Task Force membership was by invitation only and participation is voluntary.
Interested parties who are not members of the Task Force may submit comments to the public docket. The Federal Register notice is available for viewing here.
Sec. Foxx set a deadline of Nov. 20 for the Task Force to complete its recommendations and work is already underway. The group will meet formally from Nov. 3-5 before developing recommendations on a streamlined registration process and minimum requirements on which unmanned aircraft should be registered. Given the urgency of this issue, the DOT and FAA will move expeditiously to consider the Task Force’s recommendations.
Task Force Members include:
- Nancy Egan – 3D Robotics
- Richard Hanson – Academy of Model Aeronautics
- George Novak – Aerospace Industries Association
- Chuck Hogeman and Randy Kenagy – Air Line Pilots Association
- Jim Coon – Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association
- Sean Cassidy – Amazon Prime Air
- Ben Gielow–Amazon Retail
- Justin Towles – American Association of Airport Executives
- Brian Wynne – Association of Unmanned Vehicle Systems International
- Parker Brugge – Best Buy
- Douglas Johnson – Consumer Electronics Association
- Brendan Schulman – DJI
- Paul Feldman – General Aviation Manufacturers Association
- Dave Vos – GoogleX (Co-Chair)
- Tony Bates – GoPro
- Matt Zuccaro – Helicopter Association International
- Mike Fergus – International Association of Chiefs of Police
- John Perry – Management Association for Private Photogrammetric Surveyors
- Brandon Declet – Measure
- Randall Burdett – National Association of State Aviation Officials
- Sarah Wolf – National Business Aviation Association
- Baptiste Tripard – Parrot
- Tyler Collins – PrecisionHawk
- Gregory McNeal – Small UAV Coalition
- Thomas Head – Walmart
Along with the FAA and DOT, the following federal agencies will provide expert support to the Task Force: Department of Commerce, Department of Defense, Department of Homeland Security, Department of the Interior, Office of Management and Budget, National Aeronautics and Space Administration and the Department of State.