Barbados Prime Minister Mia Mottley on Saturday issued a statement welcoming interCaribbean Airways ahead of the airline’s commencement of flights to the country on Tuesday, August 4.
Here is the full statement:
“As I indicated in a previous statement, the Government of Barbados has met with a number of airlines who have expressed interest in operating in the eastern and southern Caribbean.
“Barbados is fortunate that Inter Caribbean has been chosen as its southern hub with a view to expansion and the establishment of headquarters in the future. Inter Caribbean has been operating in the northern Caribbean for almost 30 years but under different brands. Their flights will start from Tuesday, August 4, 2020, from Barbados.
“We have already seen some of the potential coming from this decision of Inter Caribbean with them looking for the rental of some homes and cars and office space. I am told that some of the interviews for local staff have also started this week.
“As I said earlier this week, we will work cooperatively to review our tax regime to stimulate regional travel. In this, I know our late Prime Minister Mr. Owen Arthur will be smiling from wherever he is, for he strenuously supported the need to review fees and taxes as an impetus for renewed regional movement of our citizens and residents.
“It is my fervent wish that the final agreement for a regional bubble for air travel will be completed and started within the next two weeks so that we can leverage the minimal risk posed by moving within those countries of ours whose incidence is extremely low.”