Copa Airlines implements biosafety measures on all flights
Copa Airlines, committed to the well-being and health of its passengers and employees, announced the disinfection, hygiene and biosafety measures and protocols it has implemented in its operations, to offer passengers a safe environment in every stage of their trip.
“We know that COVID-19 changed the way people travel, as well as our passengers’ expectations. Due to this, today more than ever, at Copa Airlines we remain committed to their well-being and as a result have taken all the necessary measures to ensure our passengers’ safety while traveling with us, because their safety is our priority,” said Diana Mizrachi, Senior Director, Customer Experience.
Through a video, the airline details the biosafety measures developed by a board of medical specialists and Copa leaders from different areas within the company, following the recommendations of the national and international health authorities, as well as the best practices observed in the industry since the pandemic began. These measures have been successfully tested in more than 130 humanitarian flights, carried out by Copa in the last five months, and are being implemented on the flights operated in August.
At Copa Airlines biosafety starts at home.Therefore, we recommend passengers check-in 24 hours before their flight on our mobile App or at copa.com, to expedite the check-in process and limit contact between passengers and employees, as well as review the requirements established by the airline, Panama’s immigration and health authorities and those of the destination. The airline also requests passengers to arrive at the airport at least three hours before flight departure, due to new security controls.
Below are some of the disinfection, hygiene and biosafety measures that Copa Airlines has implemented to ensure the well-being and peace of mind of its passengers and employees:
- Safe cabin environment: All Copa Airlines’ aircraft are equipped with high-efficiency (HEPA) filters, that remove up to 99.97% of viruses and bacteria, similar to a hospital’s operating room. In addition, the cabin air recirculation system renews the airflow every two to three minutes and the air is supplied vertically which prevent it from being shared among passengers. This, combined with the use of mandatory face masks at all times, results in a highly hygienic and safe onboard environment.
- Deep disinfection of aircraft: The disinfection process has been strengthened and implemented prior to every Copa flight. Thus, a specialized team is responsible for the thorough hygiene and disinfection of the interior of the aircraft, particularly at high touchpoint areas, using a wide range of products recommended by authorities. For greater effectiveness during cleaning, Copa uses electrostatic sprayers, that allow for the disinfectant to adhere even better to surfaces that are difficult to reach, in order to guarantee the highest level of hygiene.
- Simplified onboard service: To limit the interaction between crew and passengers, onboard service has been simplified, based on the duration of the flights. All our service products go through a deep disinfecting process before their delivery to the aircraft.
- New boarding process: Boarding will be from the back to the front of the aircraft, each passenger will carry out the self-boarding process, placing their boarding passes onto the boarding pass reader and showing their documentation to personnel at the door. For the safety of passengers and crew, once onboard, it will not be possible to change seats. If flight occupancy permits, the airline can make seating adjustments prior to boarding, seeking to offer as much space as possible between passengers.
- Social distancing: Protective plexiglass barriers have been installed in some of the airports where Copa Airlines operates, including Tocumen International Airport. In addition, the airline has added signage at the lines in order to maintain the distance established by local health authorities. Airline employees will be protected by masks.
- Hygiene at airports: To prioritize the safety of its passengers and employees, hygiene and disinfection processes have been reinforced, using high-quality products recommended by authorities at counters, service centers, boarding gates, and high touch point areas in all stages of the travel experience.
- Change your flight, not your desire to travel: Copa Airlines has extended its commercial policies, allowing passengers to modify flight dates without penalty charges on tickets purchased through August 31, 2020. The new flight itinerary must start before December 31, 2021 and applies only to regular tickets and those purchased with miles, issued by Copa Airlines (230).
To learn more about the measures Copa Airlines is implementing, and other information about its operations, visit copa.com or the airlines’ official social media platforms.